Food process engineers are responsible for researching and developing new and existing products, equipment and processes within various business units of a food product manufacturing company.
They are also responsible for designing processing, handling, and packaging equipment and systems. Food process engineers may work in other capacities as well; some are responsible for managing or supervising other workers, working in technical sales and service, acting as specialized consultants, or marketing food products.
Food Process Engineer Job Duties
The specific job duties of a food process engineer may vary depending on the sector of the food industry the work within, and the specific responsibilities of their job, although generally they are responsible for performing the following duties:
• Provide process engineering knowledge in the development of new food products
• Evaluate existing equipment and systems
• Determine specifications and scope of projects
• Design and implement new equipment and systems for production
• Create preliminary items ordering list
• Work with food product development scientists to bring a product from concept to launch
• Work with other engineers and technicians to determine equipment layout
• Test and troubleshoot equipment and systems
• Provide client or employer with technical support during implementation phase
• Solve problems in collaboration with plant engineering, continuous improvement and external manufacturers