To work as a marine engineer, you need a detailed technical knowledge of naval construction, and mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering systems. Depending on the industry you work in, your duties could include:
- shipbuilding, boat-building and repair – working on the design, development, construction and maintenance of ships, boats and machinery
- working in the leisure boat industry, which is strong in the UK, manufacturing, maintaining or repairing a range of craft from canal barges to super yachts
- offshore oil and gas – designing, building and operating offshore platforms, rigs, pipelines and equipment
- marine surveying – examining ships and offshore installations, looking at their seaworthiness, safety and maintenance needs
- Merchant or Royal Navy – making sure engines, instruments and systems work safely and efficiently (in the Royal Navy you can specialise in surface shipping, submarines or weapons systems).
You would normally be responsible for managing a team of marine technicians and craftspeople.