Skills and knowledge
Skills, interests and qualities
To be a marine engineer you should have:
- strong problem-solving skills
- excellent maths and IT skills
- good communication and negotiating skills
- excellent technical knowledge
- computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) skills
- the ability to prioritise workloads and plan effectively
- budget management skills
- a commitment to keeping up to date with new developments
- the ability to manage a team
- an awareness of health and safety procedures
- a willingness to travel and work at sea for extended periods.
You may need diving skills if your job involves underwater work.