In broad terms, the job profile of mechanical engineers can be classified into the following functional segments:
• Research and Development (R&D): Engineers whose role is to do research and then plan for new machines and their constituent parts.
• Design: Professionals whose responsibility is to draft technical drawings, manually or with the aid of computers.
• Production: Engineers who supervise the manufacturing of mechanical components and machines.
• Analysis and testing: Engineers who analyse and test different types of machines and their parts to ensure that they function flawlessly.
• Installation: Professionals who install machines and mechanical parts at the client location.
• Maintenance: Engineers whose primary role is to ensure that machinery is working as per specifications.
1. Automobile and auto part manufacturers
2. Aerospace industry
3. Various Government sector undertakings
4. Aviation companies
5. Steel plants
6. Thermal plants and gas turbine manufacturers
7. Air conditioning and refrigeration industry
8. Shipping industry
9. Engineering consultancies
10. Armed forces
Tips for Getting Hired
1. It is advisable to earn a post-graduate degree in this field
2. Computer proficiency is a must these days
3. You must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
4. A management degree further brightens your career prospects