The need for communicating and interacting with people is an imperative component of any job. In our professional lives there come numerous occasions when it becomes essential to address a large congregation and elucidate an important point. Many people are panic stricken in such situations and that creates the need for excellent and influential communication power. Here are the “tips”, which can guide you to master the skill of communication and be an effective communicator:
• Survey - As a confident speaker, it is a must that a person is clear about the facts and figures. Hence, survey and research are mandatory so that a person can have high confidence to answer the queries raised during the presentation.
• Specificity of Topic - Being a communicator, one needs to keep in mind that while making the presentation one should speak on the specific issues. The presentation can be made interesting by quoting examples and incidents, which subsequently makes the presentation more authentic and understanding. It is vital to note that if the speaker diverts from the topic, the audience is bound to get confused and lose interest. Hence, it is crucial that the presentation should be logically arranged to communicate the ideas effectively.
• Adopt a Narrative Style - The audience can easily grab and understand your presentation if it is told in the format of a story. The interest of the audience and their involvement throughout the presentation is also generated by adopting this method.
• Interesting Introduction and Conclusion - While preparing a presentation one should keep in mind that the introduction must be very interesting. The introduction needs to introduce the topic appropriately thus catching the attention of the audience. The introduction can be opened with a quote, anecdote, statistics and example. The conclusion of the presentation needs to be planned in a way that it sums up the entire presentation. This is beneficial for the audience in case they have missed any point during the presentation.
• Ensure Audience Participation - Generate the interest of the audience by posing questions.
By executing the above stated points with full confidence and perfection while making a presentation at the work place, a person is sure to an indelible effect on the minds on the audience.
The Importance of Communication for Your CareerUnderstanding and adapting one’s communication according to the accepted professional style can have a substantial impact on one’s career potential and success. By speaking professionally, a person can more effectively demonstrate his knowledge, skills and ability to contribute successfully to the organization. The interaction and communication with others determine one’s effectiveness, reputation, capability and ultimately one’s success in the professional world.
There are several elements of communication that significantly influence the success in career. These include:
• Organizing ideas and information clearly and completely.
• Expressing and presenting ideas and information coherently and persuasively.
• Listening to others effectively.
• Communicating politely and convincingly with the people from diverse background and experiences.
• Providing right and appropriate feedback
• Communicating ethically even when choices are not crystal clear.
Assimilating such skills in one’s personality boost confidence and ensure the clear expression of thought and information flow. These skills are perceived sine qua non of the career avenues like academics, journalism, law, engineering, business, broadcasting, public relations, soft-skills training, translations etc.
Career Prospects in Communication:
Students who focus on communication can find career opportunities in a variety of fields.
Advertising• The field of advertising requires that individuals have excellent written and oral communication skills. Completing a degree in advertising involves developing communication strategies, executing advertising campaigns and marketing products and services. Most advertising programs are housed under the communication departments at colleges and universities, or may be part of the business program. Career opportunities are available as an advertising specialist, copywriter, account executive, media buyer or creative director.
Journalism• The field of journalism involves gathering information and researching facts, in order to communicate stories and ideas to the public through writing, visual, electronic or speaking mediums. Career opportunities are available as reporters, editors, authors, publishers, acquisitions editors, researchers, interviewers or writers. These individuals need to have a variety of skills, including the ability to interview, speak publicly, communicate through print, non-verbal communication, oral interpretation and research.
Education• Communication educators can find employment opportunities at all educational levels, including elementary schools, secondary schools, colleges and universities. The most attractive positions are at the research and graduate level, and they prefer candidates who have a background in organizational communication, interpersonal communication and public speaking. Even management and engineering institutions hire communication instructors to teach professional and business communication to their students where communication studies is a compulsory subject.
• Most of the business and technical organizations are providing soft-skills training to their employees to improve on their interpersonal skills, conflict resolution skills, public speaking, adaptability and negotiation skills. Such trainings are not only helpful for the personal development of an Individual but in return, it enhances the productivity of the organization. Completing a course in communication studies can provide many opportunities to work as a soft-skills trainer in any government or private organization with a handsome amount of salary.
Teaching of English as a Foreign Language Instructor
• English has played a very important role in India’s growth story as India has become a preferred destination for business process outsourcing. It is because Indians speak better English than their other counterparts. Teaching English as a Second Language is a lucrative career in India as English is in great demand all over the country. Having good communicative skills in English can provide a job of instructor who is recruited by the corporate organization to improve the speaking and writing skills of their employees.
Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)
• BPO jobs have proved irresistible for college graduates. The speed with which one assimilates new information and implements learning in an on-the-job the situation is crucial to one’s career growth. Training programs regarding customer engagement help employees to communicate more effectively with global customers which consequently increases the level of inter-personal skills and builds a high level of cultural sensitivity among them. The degree of good communication skills can fetch a good job in BPO sector.
Broadcasting• Beginning a career in broadcasting requires individuals to develop the ability to communicate effectively with an audience. The field of broadcasting goes through continuous evolution, and it is important for people in this industry to recognize the changing trends in television and radio. For the people with good communications skills, positions are also available in the sales, administrative and executive departments.
Public Relations• Public relations consists of managing and enhancing the public image of individuals or organizations. Individuals working in public relations interpret their clients’ actions and situations to the public. Anyone who enters this field must be aware that writing and communicating effectively is an essential skill.
Institution Providing Courses in Communication
There are number on Institutions and Universities that provide full time and short-term diploma and certificate courses in Communication across the country. Just to name a few:
• Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
• Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
• Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
• Indian Institute of Management, Ahemdabad
• English and Foreign Language University, Hyderabad
• English and Foreign Language University Lucknow Campus, Lucknow
• University of Lucknow, Lucknow
(The List is indicative only)
After completing the course in Communication, one can easily find a job in any private or government organization. A course on Professional and Business Communication is provided in professional institutions. The one who is employed with public sector gets the salary as per the terms and conditions of government whereas the person who is recruited with private engineering or business institute draws a salary between Rs. 10,000- Rs. 40,000 per month, which increases over the years. On the other hand, those who prefer to work in the corporate sector as instructors and Soft-Skills trainers, their salaries vary from Rs. 10,000- Rs. 70, 000 per month with regular increments.
The author is a Research Scholar at the Dept. of English, University of Lucknow, Lucknow.